Friday, September 11, 2020

A Change in Diet

A Change in Diet

How COVID-19 Has Altered My Eating Habits

By Zachary Reboletti

Student at University of Kentucky

September 11, 2020


    It is not surprise that COVID-19 has made a serious impact on our nation. Economically, businesses have struggles to adapt to such an immense change. Socially, there has been a huge change in how people interact. With these changes, one change gets overlooked quite often: diet. In the United States, our diets a heavily influenced by the fast food industry and eating meals at home has definitely become less prevalent. COVID-19 has had a direct impact on restaurants, especially in the beginning phases of the virus, and lead many of them to close for a long time. 

Reflections and Considerations in the Wake of COVID-19 - IFT.org
Many stores have converted to online order and delivering to limit the spread of coronavirus.

    Because of this, my diet and my family's has changed a lot. We definitely ate at home much more often. In terms of healthiness, I feel as though we have been eating healthier. Usually we would eat out often which normally would not be the healthiest option, but since more meals had to be prepared and eaten at home, we have gotten healthier products like fresh vegetable and meats. Although, we also have started to eat more frozen meals due to their easy convenience, which is not a very healthy option. 

   I'd say overall, we have started eating healthier, but I definitely started eating less in general. I usually make my own lunch, and since I am a pretty lazy person, I would often go out and buy fast food because of the convenience. Since COVID-19 started and fast food places closed momentarily, I would simply skip meals because I didn't want to make food at home. As a result, I feel like I lost a bit of weight which is unfortunate because I have been trying to gain weight. Along with this, I would resort to eating a lot more snacks because of this laziness. Now that I am in college though, I have been eating much more because of how easy it is to go to the dining hall and get a bunch of food. Since I don't have a lot going on as well, I have started working out more and eating more in general in hopes of gaining more weight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment