Sunday, October 11, 2020

Hobbies During COVID-19


 Hobbies During COVID-19

There is no doubt that the coronavirus has eliminated the possibly of many forms of social gatherings. When I arrived to the University of Kentucky, I was immediately dismayed by the sight of the basketball courts being taken down. Before COVID, I had taken up basketball as a hobby for a while and was really starting to enjoy it. Once the pandemic hit, though, the rims were taken down almost everywhere. Playing basketball would have been a pretty easy way to meet people and make friends, which really disappointed me when I found out that opportunity would be taken away. 

Pictured: The basketball court near me before COVID-19

As for now, if I even wanted to go play basketball, I would have to walk 30 minutes at least to a park a couple miles away. I went with my friend recently, but got rained on while walking back. Overall, the experience was pretty unpleasant, so we have refrained from going back. 

To find something else to take up time, I have taken up longboarding. This is an activity that is pretty individual unless going out with others which even at that point is pretty socially distant. I invested in a pretty nice longboard a little while back and have been exploring the campus recently at night because it is pretty relaxing. I am just hoping soon that the hoops will be put back up so that I can resume my hobby of playing basketball and possibly meet some people. Although I have gotten pretty good at skating, I miss hooping.  

Basketball hoops at Syracuse University, reminiscent of the outdoor court at University of Kentucky


No comments:

Post a Comment